In many industrial and public sectors, explosion protection or explosion hazards are ever-present, e.g. in the chemicals industry, in refineries, on drilling platforms, at petrol stations, in feed manufacturing and in sewage treatment plants.
The risk of explosion is always present when gases, fumes, mist or dust are mixed with oxygen in the air in an explosive ratio close to sources of ignition that are able to release the so-called minimum ignition energy.
In the chemical and petrochemical industries in particular, when crude oil and natural gas are transported, or in mining, milling (e.g. grain and solids), this can result in serious injury to persons and damage to equipment.
To ensure maximum safety in these areas, legislators in most countries have implemented appropriate stipulations in the form of laws and regulations based on national and international standards.
Explosion-protected equipment is designed such that an explosion can be prevented when it is used properly.
The explosion-protected equipment can be designed in accordance with various types of protection.
The local conditions must be subdivided into specified zones by the user with the assistance of the responsible authorities in accordance with the frequency of occurrence of an explosion hazard. Device (equipment) categories are assigned to these zones. The zones are then subdivided into possible types of protection and therefore into possible equipment (product) types.
LOHER Low-Voltage Motors
Type series 1MD5, 1PSO, 1PS1, 1PS4 and 1PS5
Frame sizes 71 to 500
Power range 0.25 to 1400 kw
The explosion-proof motors from Siemens offer the user numerous advantages:
- The motors are designed in accordance with Directive 94/9/EC (ATEX 95 previously ATEX 100a). As product supplier, Siemens accepts responsibility for compliance with the applicable product standards for the selected equipment.
- By using this product, the plant operating company satisfies Directive 1999/92/EC in accordance with Appendix II B (ATEX 137 previously ATEX 118a). The plant manufacturer or plant operating company is responsible for correct selection and proper usage of the equipment.
- Comprehensive series of Ex motors for protection against gas and dust.
- Individual versions of motors are possible thanks to the numerous catalog options.
- Further special versions are possible on request.
- Factory certificates 2.1 are available for a defined spectrum of Siemens motors/converters.
- The Operating Instructions (Compact) are available in all the official EU languages as well as Russian and Chinese.
The explosion-proof motors are used in the following sectors to prevent explosion hazards that result in serious injury to persons and severe damage to equipment:
- Chemical and petrochemical industry
- Production of mineral oil and gas
- Gas works
- Gas supply companies
- Petrol stations
- Coking plants
- Mills (e.g. grain, solids)
- Sewage treatment plants
- Wood processing (e.g. sawdust, tree resin)
- Other industries subject to explosion hazards